Sunday, January 11, 2009

First real post

Lyon is amazing Im so happy to be here. Speaking French has been much more difficult than I originally anticipated but Im getting the hang of it and I can pretty much understand what people are saying. I have a lot of work to do to become fluent, particularly with my grammar but that will hopefully come soon. To help Im reading, which has turned into translating because I dont know a lot of the words, a childrens book called Les Memoires des Anes ( Memoires of a Donkey). Its supposed to be for children under 10 but its really difficult for me and there have been conjugations in form that I didnt previously know.
I went to Vieux Lyon (old Lyon) with the mother of the family Im living with and its so beautiful. There was a bit of haze so the pictures didnt turn out that well but it was absolutely amazing. In the old part there are Tabbules (sp?) basically they are these hidden pathways through the buildings that connect parallel streets because the streets were so long. It was crazy, there were all these doors that just look like and other entrance to a building but they open and inside there is a walkway and then a courtyard and another walkway and viola youre on another street. The other amazing thing about it is that they are all decorated differently and some are very ornate and cathedral like.
I also got to try some real French desserts from a Patisserie and they were so good and crepes from a guy on the street with a cart! It was delicious, all the food so far has been except for one pumpking dish that I didnt like and another one that was a half cooked egg is a wine glass with creme fraise and a type of caviar that we dont have on top. Not my favorite! It was way too salty for me and the texture and popping of the caviar was not something that I really enjoyed. And I hadnt even gotten to the half cooked egg!!!!
Im going to post some pictures and in the next few days Ill take pictures of my room and the house.

2 comments:

  1. The half cooked egg thing sounds disgusting. I'm so happy that the mom is showing you around. Are the pictures you posted later on from Lyon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah all the pictures are from Lyon

    ReplyDelete